Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Letting Go

So this weekend, my 4.5 year old comes into the living room with his jeans on backwards acting as normal as can be, playing football, pretend tackling, having a grand old time just playing around as usual. I tried not to make a big deal about it but was definitely curious if he even noticed the difference or not with his zipper on the backside and said casually, “hey, did you know your pants were on backwards?”. He looked up briefly and said in return, “yeah, but it’s not bothering me and kept on playing.

I chuckled and thought to myself but your pants are on backwards, doesn’t that bug you? And while I wanted to ask him to switch them around and maybe even did once before I realized, WHY, it doesn’t matter how his pants are and it may look silly but if it’s not bothering him, it should not be bothering me! And then it was like I had those words stuck in my head all day “yeah but it’s not bothering me” as though I needed a reminder that if it’s not hurting anything or anybody then why does it matter?

I know it sounds simple, a pair of jeans backwards but how often as moms do we get caught up in little struggles with our children based on how we think things should be, whether that be as simple as what our children are wearing on any given day, to the way our house looks, the meals we cook or maybe even our own appearance that it causes undue stress and worry? And while letting things go isn’t always the easiest to do, it definitely is a choice we can make that might be less stressful and make for a much more enjoyable day! He ending up wearing them that way for the most of the day and never thought a second about it.

How about you, are there things you could let go of that would cause less stress and or make your day more enjoyable? Give it a try, it might be easier than you think!

Wishing you all the best this week in letting go and having fun!

Take care,
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment